#makeITsafePH: How to overcome Video Game Addiction; know the Symptoms, Causes and Effects.
We are living in the modern age. And with modernity in positive forms, it also brings its downsides. Video Game Addiction is an increasing disorder problem all across the globe, in varying ages and genders and according to World Health Organization(WHO) Video Game Addiction is now a Mental Disorder.
There are numerous causes for this. One of which is that they are created to be addicting which is why many easily fall into it and the person who is experiencing it may also have difficulty in seeing the signs that they are already addicted.
Here are some worst examples of Video Game Addiction:
- 1] In 2010, South Korean prosecutors charged a couple with negligent homicide for allowing their child to starve to death while they played the the MMORPG, Prius Online, according to the BBC. The dark irony is that the couple spent hours at Internet cafes raising a virtual child in the game world.
- 2] A Chinese gamer was sentenced to life in prison in 2004 after stabbing another to death, according to BBC. Apparently the victim had sold a virtual sword that the perpetrator lent to him. The sword was part of a game entitled Legend of Mir 3, and the sale of in-game items is big business in some parts of the world.
It is hard to face the truth but it is important to address it. Think you have it?
Here are the common signs you should watch out for.
- Irritability or unease when not capable of playing
- In times when you aren’t playing, your thoughts wander to your previous game or future games
- Being dishonest about the time and money you spend when playing
- You prefer to play when be around others
- Regular migraines because of possible eye strain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Physically unclean/unhygienic
There are numerous effects this disorder brings. From short term effects such as fatigue, to long term effects such as missing out on life, financially and academically problematic, may ultimately ruin your overall life and being.
If you think you have it, do not fret because it isn’t permanent.
#makeITsafePH: How to Overcome Video Game Addiction?
There are things YOU can do to overcome it. It may be hard at first but the end results will make you a lot happier than you can ever imagine.
- Take It Easy – How? Like any other addiction, many people try to stop their addiction by completely and immediately stopping everything all together. It doesn’t work this way. What you can do is slowly reduce the time you spend and work your way from there.
- Set Up A Limit – Have a very strict schedule on when you can play and for how long. This teaches you discipline and helps you in setting your mind to control your urge.
- Control The Controllers – There is probably two or more games you love playing, and you know that you cannot play all those games in one day. So try controlling your games. Create a system. Play this game on this day then another game on another day.
- No To MMOs – Sadly, these are the most addictive games to play. It takes so much of your time and it’s like quick sand. Once you step your foot in it, you’ll get sucked in. Avoid playing these games.
- Take Breaks – A good way to stop yourself from sitting long hours playing is by taking a break every hour or so. By training yourself to do this, you clear your mind and relax your body.
- Lock Your Wallet – Obviously, not literally. But like the boundaries you have set for the number of hours you play, you must also do the same for your wallet. Set aside a certain and reasonable amount of money for the week or month. This helps you from exceeding play time.
- Alternative Exercise-based Games – There are new video games on the market that require the whole or at least half the body to move. Try them out. You get the benefits of getting to play video games and getting some exercise.
- Invite Your Family and Your Friends – To avoid you excluding yourself from the world, invite the two most important groups of people in your life, family and friends. It would be good for them and for you; it can be a bonding experience. But, never forget your boundaries. When you do invite them to play, tell them to set boundaries for themselves as well.
- Look For Help – It is never shameful to ask for help. There might be deeper problems and causes that you aren’t aware of. Sometimes, this type of addiction is a result of some other things in your life which is why looking for a health professional would really help your case. They can help you identify and fix them.
- Try Something New – Do not let video games be the center of your universe. Get a different hobby that requires either brain or physical activity, or both! You might also want to invite your family and friends in this new found hobby.
- Re-examine Your Life – After reading all the things above, try to still assess your life. Are there other areas or problems in your life that has been affected by your addiction? How can you make it better? What else can be done?
But the first step in changing this is admittance.
Admit that there is a problem and from there use your desire to change in following the guide above.
#makeITsafePH campaign is created by Globe Telecom which aims to inform their customers of the dangers that can be found in the internet and how to keep oneself safe from them.